The Kidzpositive Family Fund has been launched by a group of dedicated professionals working in healthcare, aid, and the media. We are responding to an urgent need for funding and skills to improve the lives of children and families coping with HIV/AIDS in southern Africa.
Members of the Kidzpositive Family Fund board have been appointed on grounds of expertise, their record of personal integrity, and their affiliation with organisations in good standing.
The board consists of:
- Dr Paul Roux (Chair) - Dr Roux is a senior paediatrician in the Department of Paediatrics of the School of Child and Adolescent Health, Groote Schuur Hospital and the University of Cape Town. He is the director of the Groote Schuur Hospital paediatric HIV/AIDS serviceand a co-founder of Paediatric AIDS Treatment for Africa (PATA)
- Mr Denis Lloyd (Secretary) - Mr Lloyd is the chairman of Walkers Inc, a well-established law firm of attorneys.
- Ms Sonja Giese (Member of ExCo) - Ms Giese is the HIV/AIDS co-ordinator at the Children's Institute, University of Cape Town. She is one of the convenors of the Children's HIV/AIDS Network (CHAiN), which is an association of organisations working for the welfare of mothers and children with HIV/AIDS in the Western Cape Province.
- Dr Hilary-Ann van Wyk (Member of ExCo) - Dr van Wyk is a senior paediatrician in private practice at the Gatesville Hospital in Athlone, Cape Town. She is a part-time consultant in the paediatric HIV/AIDS clinic at Groote Schuur Hospital.
- Professor Mark Cotton - Dr Cotton is an Associate Professor in the Infectious Diseases service of the Tygerberg Children's Hospital and the University of Stellenbosch and the founder of KIDCRU, a research unit within Tygerberg Children's Hospital. He is an authority on paediatric HIV/AIDS.
- Dr Chewe Luo - Dr Luo is an international expert on HIV/AIDS in children. She has been a senior paediatrician at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia and is currently Senior Programme Adviser, UNICEF, New York
- Ms Elelwani Ramugondo - Ms Ramugondo a Senior Lecturer in the Dept of Occupational Therapy at the University of Cape Town. She also works one morning a week in the paediatric ward at Groote Schuur Hospital. She has been a recipient of a research grant from Bristol-Myers Squibb, to conduct research into play as a health-giving occupation for children living with HIV/AIDS and to promote caregiver-child interaction.
- Ms Kate Gray (member of ExCo) - was working as a Lecturer in the Numeracy Centre in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Cape Town when she volunteered to assist in the Positive Beadwork Project. She has taken the PBP to a level where the annual benefit to bead workers amounts to more than ZAR 800 000 and extends to sites in Paarl, Worcester and the Crossroads township of Cape Town
- Dr Nirvana Bechan - is a Senior Lecturer in Public Relations and Communication at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Professor Minette Coetzee - is Associate Professor of Child Nurse Practice Development at the University of Cape Town and is based at the Red Cross Children's Hospital
- Dr Michael Levin - is a Senior Lecturer and Senior Paediatrician in the Department of Paediatrics at the University of Cape Town and is based at Somerset Hospital in Cape Town